Recently we had the opportunity to have Sunday breakfast at a local restaurant and being vegetarian, our choices were somewhat limited. One of the few things that we could eat was Hash Browns topped with melted cheese and mushrooms which were great but a little bland. So we decided that we needed to try this again but this time with a little bit of a twist. After a little search we came across this recipe for Paneer Potato Rosti. Although this is not a hash brown rather the Swiss version.
The result was quick, easy and delicious homemade breakfast which we topped with Garlic Mushrooms. You can see for yourself our result at the bottom.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Makes 6 servings
- 100 gms grated paneer (Indian cottage cheese available in most Indian stores. If you cannot get your hands on any you could try Ricotta cheese as a substitute.)
- 3 potatoes , par-boiled (we microwaved it instead)
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 1 green chilli , finely chopped
- 150 gms grated cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt to taste
- Peel the potatoes. Grate coarsely or slice. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan. Add onion and cook for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle the green chilli, cheese and paneer and cook on a slow flame for a few seconds.
- Spread the potatoes in the pan.
- Cook until crisp and brown on the underside.
- Loosen around the edges with a knife.
- Invert and take out in one piece. Cut into desired pieces.
- Serve hot.
We served this with Garlic button Mushrooms on top and it was fantastic.
On the frying pan:
About to be topped up with the Garlic Mushrooms:
The final product