There is a great feel-good factor booster in this protein-rich recipe! black bean dal is a tasty and wholesome dal, which is also very easy to make. All in all, a lot of good things in one package! you just need to remember to plan ahead and soak the dal overnight, and then the tomatoes, onions and common spice powders will work their magic.
1 cup black beans , soaked overnight and drained
salt to taste
a pinch of soda bi-carb
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tsp finely chopped garlic (lehsun)
1 tsp finely chopped ginger (adrak)
1/2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1 cup chopped tomatoes
salt to taste
1 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
2 tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder
1/4 cup finely chopped coriander (dhania)
1 tbsp fresh cream
For The Garnish
a sprig of coriander (dhania)
- Combine the black beans, salt, soda bi-carb and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Do not drain the water and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the garlic, ginger and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder and 1 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked dal (including the water), mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander and fresh cream, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 more minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.