Chana dal in addition to protein provides a good source of iron and fibre while cucumber, added to enhance the flavours, contributes minimal calories and no fat to your diet. Serve hot with rice or chapatis to square up your meal.
3/4 cup chana dal (split Bengal gram)
1/2 cup finely chopped cucumber
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi)
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp oil
salt to taste
For the garnish
1 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- Wash and soak the chana dal in water for at least an hour. Drain and keep aside.
- Add 2 cups water to the soaked dal and pressure cook for 10 to 15 minutes, till the dal is cooked.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Add the cooked dal, ginger-green chilli paste, turmeric powder and chilli powder and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the cucumber and salt and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes till the cucumber is tender, but still a little crisp.
- Add some water, if required to adjust the consistency.
- Garnish with the coriander and serve hot with rice or chapatis.