A warm, hearty biryani is often at the centre of most Indian family gatherings. Tasty and filling, it doesn’t need much else to accompany it. Our biryani is a quick and easy take on the famous dish, using paneer as the hero, (and removing potato, for a shorter cook time) and using our all-in-one The Spice Emporium Instant Wet Biryani Masala, it makes for a great weekday meal.
Serves 2 (Double the recipe for 4)
Prep time 15 minutes
Cooking time 25 minutes
Ingredients in bold available at The Spice Emporium.
150g paneer, cubed
Oil for frying
3 tbs oil
3 medium onions, sliced thin
6-8 curry leaves
½ cup mint leaves, finely chopped
½ cup plain yogurt
2 green chillies, finely chopped
1 tbs ginger and garlic paste
1 tbs lemon juice
salt, to taste
½ tsp sugar – optional
2 tbs saffron milk (6-7 strands of saffron, soaked in 2 tbs warm milk) – optional
Coriander, chopped – to garnish.
- In a deep pan, heat oil for frying until medium to hot heat. Deep fry paneer until light golden brown. Remove and place on a plate lined with a paper towel to drain the excess oil.
- On medium heat, add 3 tbs oil to a pot. Once hot, place onion slices and curry leaves to fry until onions are golden brown.
- Add The Spice Emporium Instant Wet Biryani Masala, ginger garlic paste, oil, turmeric powder and saute for about a minute.
- Add coriander powder, yogurt, chopped mint, green chillies and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, salt, fried paneer and cooked basmati rice. Gently mix so spice and paneer is spread throughout rice.
- Pour saffron milk evenly over the paneer and rice.
- Cover the pot with a lid and leave it to steam for 2 minutes, thereafter, turn the stove off.
- Garnish your dish with coriander and serve with raita, vegetable pickle and papad.