Rich, creamy and authentically flavoured. Enjoy this mughal-style dish.
2 tsp charmagaj (melon seeds) soaked in warm water
2 tsp khus khus (poppy seeds) soaked in warm water
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tbsp oil
½ green chilli, slit
¼ tsp Spice Emporium Hot Chilli Powder
¼ tsp fennel seeds (saumph) powder
1 /8 tsp cardamom (elaichi) powder
½ tsp Spice Emporium Home-Made Garam Masala
salt to taste
½ cup Earth Products Tofu cut into cubes, deep fried
¼ cup boiled green peas
¼ cup cubed and boiled carrots
3 tbsp fresh cream
1 tbsp chopped coriander
Lal Qilla Excel Basmati Rice or fresh rotis to serve.
The white paste
- In a pan, combine the onions, khus khus, charmagaj and ½ cup water together and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or till they become soft.
- Remove from the stove and keep aside to cool.
- When cool, blend in a mixer to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan on medium heat, add the white paste and green chilli and sauté till the paste turns golden brown in colour.
- Add the chilli powder, fennel seeds powder, cardamom powder, garam masala and salt, mix well and cook for 5 minutes while stirring continuously.
- Add the tofu, green peas, carrots, cream and ¾ cup of water, mix well and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with coriander, with rice or roti.