Light, creamy and full of delicious coconut flavour, a wonderfully exotic dish.
Ingredients in bold available at The Spice Emporium
1¼ cups Lal Qilla Excel Indian Basmati rice
1 tbsp urad dhall (split black lentils)
2 tbsp polished moong dhall (split yellow gram)
6 whole dry red chillies
5 curry leaves
2 tbsp peanuts, semi-crushed
300 ml Liberty coconut milk mixed with 200ml water
2 tbsp oil
salt to taste
¼ cup Spice Emporium medium desiccated coconut, lightly toasted, to garnish
- Thoroughly rinse rice and soak for 30 minutes in lukewarm water then drain and set aside.
- In a pot, heat oil and add the urad and moong dhal and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add curry leaves, peanuts and red chillies and cook for 1 minute.
- Add ¼ cup water and cook on medium heat until water evaporates and urad and moong dhal are par-cooked.
- Add in the rice and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk mixture and salt and cook on medium heat until the rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed. Switch off stove and cover with a lid.
- After 10-15 minutes, fluff rice with a fork, garnish with toasted coconut and serve hot.