Almond milk is a healthy and delicious alternative to dairy milk. Free from cholesterol and lactose, this creamy nutty flavoured milk is perfect for vegans and those who are lactose intolerant. Almond milk is versatile and can substituted for dairy in everything from chocolate milk to smoothies and baking.
Ingredients in bold available at The Spice Emporium.
1 cup almonds
3-4 cups water
honey to taste (optional)
- Rinse almonds and soak in water overnight or for at least 8-10 hours (or up to 2 days). The longer the almonds soak, the creamier the almond milk.
- Once soaked, drain and thoroughly wash the almonds under running water. You can remove the skin, but it is not necessary.
- In a blender, combine almonds and 1 cup of water. On high, blend into a smooth paste. Add the remaining water and blend continuously for 2 minutes.
- Line a strainer with a cheese cloth/muslin and place over a bowl. Pour the almond milk into the strainer. Gather the cloth and gently extract the almond milk into the bowl.
- Add honey to the almond milk or leave unsweetened if desired.
Store the milk in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Tip: Don’t throw away the the almond meal that remains in the cloth. Add it to smoothies, oats or muffins for added protein.