Who doesn’t love eating Paneer Tikka Masala at their favourite Indian restaurant? With its creamy paneer, tangy tomato gravy and fiery chilli kick (that’s the ‘tikka’ in Paneer Tikka Masala), making your own is easier than you think! Try our irresistibly good recipe, right at home.
Prep time 40 minutes
Cooking time 40 minutes
Ingredients in bold available at The Spice Emporium.
Paneer and Marinade
350-400g paneer, cubed
6 tbs plain full cream yoghurt
½ tsp of fresh ginger, grated
½ tsp of fresh garlic, grated
1 tsp Spice Emporium Dhania Jeera Powder (Corriander Cumin Powder)
Pinch of salt
1 tbs oil
Tikka Masala Sauce
2 tbs oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
½ tsp fresh ginger, grated
4 tsp Spice Emporium Instant Wet Tikka Masala (for extra hot curry, add 6 tsp)
½ tsp black pepper, ground
4 tomatoes, chopped
2 tsp sugar (optional, if tomatoes are sour)
12 tbs water (for a more liquid sauce, add additional 12 tbs water)
3 tbs cream
Fresh coriander, chopped
Cooked Lal Qilla Basmati rice or fresh rotis
- Place paneer cubes in a medium-size bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the yoghurt, ginger, garlic, Spice Emporium Dhania Jeera Powder, salt and oil.
- Add the yoghurt marinade to the paneer and gently mix together. Refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes. If there is any leftover marinade, set aside to use in the sauce.
- In a separate pot on medium heat, add oil. When the oil is hot, add onions and stir regularly and cook until golden brown.
- Add ginger, Spice Emporium Instant Wet Tikka Masala, black pepper, mix gently and allow to cook for ±30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, sugar, and water, stir and reduce heat slightly. Cover the pan and allow to simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in cream and any leftover yoghurt marinade.
- Switch off the heat, remove the pot from the stove and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Pour mixture into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour the blended sauce back into its pot.
- Place the pot on the stove and turn back on to medium heat.
- Add the paneer cubes to the sauce and cook for ±1 minute and remove from the stove.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot with Lal Qilla Basmati rice or rotis.