Make an irresistible roasted tandoori chickpea snack that’s packed with restaurant style tandoori flavour. Made easy using all-in-one Spice Emporium Instant Wet Tandoori Masala, you’ll be making another batch in no time! Serve as a starter, side-dish or with drinks.
There are two ways of making Tandoor Chickpeas, one is pan-fried for a slightly softer chickpea, while oven-roasted produces a crispier version.
Prep time 45 minutes
Cooking time 60 minutes
Ingredients in bold available at The Spice Emporium.
1 cup Spice Emporium Pre-Cleaned White Chickpeas, soaked overnight
(or 1 can white chickpeas, drained)
3 cups water
2 to 3 tablespoons yoghurt
1½ – 2 tsp Spice Emporium Instant Wet Tandoori Masala
¼ tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
3 to 4 tbsp of oil
¼ medium onion, finely chopped
Squeeze of fresh lemon
Coriander leaves for garnishing
Method – Pan-fried
If using canned beans, skip step 1, 2 and 4.
- Drain water from overnight-soaked chickpeas using a sieve and wash under running water.
- In a flat bottomed pot on high heat, add water, soaked chickpeas and boil until slightly soft, but not mushy. (±40 minutes).
- In a bowl, add yoghurt, Spice Emporium Instant Wet Tandoori Masala, turmeric powder and salt (note: the Spice Emporium Instant Wet Tandoori Masala contains salt). Mix well.
- Once chickpeas are cooked, drain using a sieve. Run water under the tap to cool chickpeas down.
- Add chickpeas to the yoghurt mixture and mix well. Place in the fridge for 30-45 minutes to allow to marinate.
- In a separate thick-bottomed pot, on medium heat, add oil. When oil is hot, add the marinated chickpeas.
- Saute, stirring regularly, until chickpeas are roasted and lightly crispy (±10-20 minutes).
- Remove from stove, and place in a bowl. Top with coriander, onions and squeeze of lemon.
Variation – Oven Roasted
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside
- Follow above recipe until step 5, adding 2 tsp oil into the mixture.
- Spread chickpeas evenly on the baking tray and place in oven for ± 40 mins, turning chickpeas around halfway.
- Remove baking tray from oven and evenly squeeze lemon over chickpeas. Mix well and allow chickpeas to cool.