A hearty and delicious Durban Style Broad (Kidney) Beans Curry. Filled with flavour, it’s a tasty, comforting curry that the whole family will love. Enjoy with roti, basmati rice or even bread.
Prep time 10 minutes
Cooking time 70 minutes
Ingredients in bold available at The Spice Emporium.
250g Spice Emporium Pre-Cleaned Kidney Beans, soaked in water overnight
3 cups water
2 tbs oil
Pinch of asafoetida (hing)
3 cinnamon sticks
2 bay leaves
2 cardamom pods
¼ tsp cumin (jeera) seeds
1 onion, chopped
1 tbs ginger garlic paste
4-5 fresh curry leaves
2 medium grated tomatoes
2 medium potatoes, quartered
¼ tsp turmeric, separated
2 tbs Spice Emporium Instant Wet Leaf Masala
salt to taste
Fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Drain water from overnight-soaked beans using a sieve and wash under running water.
- In a flat bottomed pot on high heat, add water, soaked beans and a pinch of turmeric and boil until soft (±40 minutes). Do not throw away the water.
- In a separate pot on medium heat, add oil. When oil is hot, add cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, cardamom and cumin.
- When cumin starts to pop, add asafoetida and quickly follow with onions, stir regularly and cook until golden brown.
- Add Spice Emporium Instant Wet Leaf Masala followed by turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste, curry leaves and grated tomatoes. Mix well.
- Add potatoes and mix to coat well. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the boiled beans with the water and salt. Mix well. (Note: the Spice Emporium Instant Wet Leaf Masala contains salt)
- Increase heat and cover and allow to cook (stirring occasionally) for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are soft and cooked.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot with roti, basmati rice or bread.